Belizean Farmer Charged For Sexual Assault

Fifty-seven-year-old Belizean farmer of the Petville area in Orange Walk Mark Ayuso was charged with...

How Will Fraud Scandal Affect UDP Leadership Race?

Yesterday must have felt like déjà vu for Prime Minister Dean Barrow who held a press conference to ...

SICB Chairman Denies Hanky Panky In Cane Farmers Fuel Subsidy Programme

Yesterday we heard the explanation given by the chairman of the Sugar Industry Control Board Gabriel...

New River Task Force Discusses Plans For The New River

Today, members of the New River Task Force held its 7th meeting here in Orange Walk Town to discuss ...

2 Million Loan Relief For Cane Farmers Yet To Be Released By CDB

As we reported on Thursday, meteorological forecasts for the Jewel indicate that 2020 could be anoth...

  • Belizean Farmer Charged For Sexual Assault

    Friday, 17 January 2020 02:27
  • How Will Fraud Scandal Affect UDP Leadership Race?

    Friday, 17 January 2020 02:33
  • SICB Chairman Denies Hanky Panky In Cane Farmers Fuel Subsidy Programme

    Friday, 17 January 2020 02:55
  • New River Task Force Discusses Plans For The New River

    Friday, 17 January 2020 03:00
  • 2 Million Loan Relief For Cane Farmers Yet To Be Released By CDB

    Friday, 17 January 2020 03:06

Screen_Shot_2014-05-06_at_7.43.02_PMAn insect infestation has prompted the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Health and the Village Council at Ranchito Village in the Corozal District to take action at the Ranchito Government School. While officials at the Ministry of Education would not give an official comment on the matter, our news room has received several phone calls from concerned parents who have told us that classes have been cancelled for the week. Our News Team visited the school today in an effort to find out what the situation is. Dalila Ical reports.


Dalila Ical – Reporting


Classes have been cancelled for the week at the Ranchito Government School after parents and the school administration complained about serious insect and quite possibly rodent infestations at the school.

While Officials at the Ministry of Education refused to give us an official comment, concerned parents have made calls to our news room saying that the situation is one that has been ongoing for a long time now.


CTV-3 News understands that just yesterday, parents of over two hundred students at the institution met with the school administration and officials at the Ministry of Education to express their concerns over the dilapidated state of one of the school structures.

 

Reports are that bats and rodents have taken residence in at least two of the school buildings. Other insects such as roaches and mites are infesting the school building. The problem has been existent for quite some time and according to what we have been told, parents decided that it was time to get some improvements done at the school

We understand that last week, representatives of the Central Building Authority and the Social Investment Fund were at the school compound assessing the buildings and concluded that the largest building, which is about thirty or more years older, is unsafe and unsanitary for students. At the same time they found insects and rodents in a second building which will require cleaning and sanitizing.


Since yesterday, the students were sent home and will remain there at least for one week while the responsible authorities find a solution. The Corozal Health Inspector and the Pesticide Control Unit have been called and will be conducting insect eradication in the buildings. The building to the back will be cleaned and will house at least two classes. Plans are to house students in the library located in front of the school compound and another two classes are to be relocated at the Community Center located across the highway from the school.


Officials from the Ministry of Education were conducting assessments at the center today to ensure that it will be adequate for students. The Village Chairman has also become involved to ensure that the students’ needs are met.

CTV-3 News has been reliably informed that prior to the situation, the Social Investment Fund already had plans to build a new school building at the village but with the recent problems, that project may be fast tracked. It is understood that the project should be commencing in July of 2015.

Share this post

This content has been locked. You can no longer post any comment.