Screen_Shot_2014-06-11_at_8.17.48_PMOn Monday we reported on the fire incident in the village of Libertad in the Corozal District which saw a 2008 Mercedes Benz Car going up in flames.


WPC Rosario Romero reported to police that around 3:30 Saturday morning she woke up only to find her vehicle, which was parked in the yard, on fire. Romero immediately opened her door and saw that the car and the electricity wire running to her house were engulfed in flames. The Corozal Fire Department managed to extinguish the fire and luckily no one was hurt. But the family believes that the vehicle was set on fire. So was it? That is what we found out today.


Victor Castillo – Reporting


This is what’s left of a 2008 Mercedes Benz B200 belonging to WPC Rosario Romero who is attached to the Corozal Police Department. Romero lives in the Village of Libertad and in the wee hours of Saturday morning she woke up only to find her car engulfed in flames.  On an off camera interview with Romero’s common law husband, Paul Haberling, he told us he parked the vehicle in his yard around 10:00am on Friday and that’s where it remained parked. For Haberling it’s impossible for a vehicle that is parked for more than 12 hours to set itself on fire especially due to electrical problems.


So what exactly happened was Romero’s vehicle set on fire or did it experience electrical problems which caused it to ignite? That’s what we asked the Chief of the Corozal Fire Department Carlitos Arnold today, who has been following the investigation.


Carlitos Arnold – Fire Chief Corozal


“We went out and did an electrical investigation on the vehicle and we found out that all the electrical wiring in the back section of the vehicle were beaded and we found out that it was an electrical fire that caused the vehicle to burn.”


Victor Castillo – CTV3 News Reporter


“Being that the vehicle is a late model, a 2008 Mercedes Benz and we understand that according to the owner it is a top of the line vehicle, is it still possible that it had electrical problems?”


Carlitos Arnold – Fire Chief Corozal


‘Yes, it is still possible that it was electrical and we have the evidence that it is an electrical problem, an electrical fire.”


Arnold added that the vehicle showed no signs of forced entry.


The 2008 B200 Mercedes Benz had a value of $50,000.00 Belize Dollars.

Share this post

This content has been locked. You can no longer post any comment.

Headline News