Speaker Of The House Signs MOU With FOPREL And SICA

Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Laura Tucker Longsworth, travelled to El Salvador to p...

New International Flight Headed To Belize

There's a new international flight headed to Belize, this time coming from Minneapolis, Minnesota lo...

224 Farmers Graduate From Farmers Field School

This afternoon a special graduation ceremony was held for 224 cane farmers who participated in the S...

  • Speaker Of The House Signs MOU With FOPREL And SICA

    Friday, 07 September 2018 02:44
  • New International Flight Headed To Belize

    Friday, 07 September 2018 02:46
  • 224 Farmers Graduate From Farmers Field School

    Friday, 07 September 2018 03:09

Screen_Shot_2014-07-31_at_7.59.04_PMThe work on the San Estevan/Progresso Road is set to commence shortly yet again according to the Prime Minster Dean Barrow. The project which was estimated to cost about twelve point five million dollars includes the paving of the road from Orange Walk Town to Progresso with all necessary drainage and signage.

 

That was to have begun in 2012 but about two years after, the project has still not seen much progress. That should have been completed in May last year but so far all that has been done is some slight upgrade to alleviate the badly damaged areas caused by rains last year.

 

In the Prime Minister’s Press Conference on Wednesday, we asked for an update on the matter. According to the PM, the Ministry of Work and Ministry of Economic Development personnel met with the contractors earlier this week to address the matter. The PM says that while he was not personally at the meeting, he was told that the purpose of the meeting was to cancel the sub contract with the contractors, who were listed as the Bella Vista Development Co Ltd and Lopez Equipment Co Ltd due to continuous delays even after monies had been allocated. The PM spoke on what the final decision was at the meeting as he understood it.


Prime Minister Dean Barrow


“In was accepted that the sort of funding is now in place that would allow contractors to go forward and get the work done being given yet another chance. I was not at that meeting, I trust the officials and I know that the EU is usually an organization that acts with acuity in terms of finding things round and cancelling contracts and by God all sorts of things have gone wrong and of course if the contract had been cancelled we would have been looking at all sorts of things biddings would have to have been made and more and we would have been looking at a delay of at least six to nine months. The officials are satisfied that the contractors can finally get their act together and proceed and immediately go to work and I have to accept that perhaps it is the better thing to have given them a second or third chance don’t even know how many chances that has been and that was the decision taken among parties concerned.”


The project is expected to be concluded in July of next year. It is being funded by the European Union. 

Share this post

This content has been locked. You can no longer post any comment.