musaViewers may recall in July of last year when businessman Ramon Cervantes Sr. was brutally murdered and his body dumped and found in a shallow grave in an area off the Honey Camp Road in Orange Walk. And while there has been an arrest made of the three persons accused for his death, an explosive allegation emerged that Deputy Prime Minister Gaspar Vega somehow had a hand in the murder of Ramon Cervantes Sr., father of PUP Standard Bearer for Orange Walk North Ramon Monchie Cervantes. That phone call, in Spanish, was played on Love FM during a live broadcast of the family's memorial ceremony for the patriarch. Since the recording was released, Vega has categorically denied that claim, and in November, filed a suit to sue Monchie Cervantes Jr. for libel in the Supreme Court. Today, that case was heard in the Supreme Court in Belize City and from all indications, Deputy Prime Minister Gaspar Vega does not appear interested in personally appearing in the Supreme Court to clear his name. Today’s agenda in court should have been a pre-trial review for the case before Chief Justice Kenneth Benjamin. Today Cervantes ’attorney Senior Counsel Said Musa reported that Vega’s attorney, Senior Counsel Rodwell Williams, applied to amend the statement of claim form.


Said Musa  - Attorney Monchi Cervantez


“The Attorney of Mr Vega made an application to the court to amend the statement of claim and most of the morning the Chief Justice was taken up with considering whether or not that an amendment to the statement of claim should be allowed or not and the Chief Justice has heard the arguments from both sides and will give it ruling on the 7th of May. We were hoping today that it could have been the pre-trial review but the next date would have been the trial date, however, the claimant Mr Vega through his attorney made this application to amend and that is what is holding the battle now, the judge will give his ruling next Thursday one way or the other he may not agree to it or he may allow the amendment we will find out next Thursday.”


Ramon Monchi Cervantez Jr.


“My impression from this proposed amendment is that the Claimant Mr Vega is trying to find a way to excuse himself at presenting himself at the trial at this case and let someone else, in this case I think one of the witnesses to do that work for his case.”


So what does all this mean? We tried to get in contact with the DPM but our efforts were futile. According to Cervantes Jr., he does not know why his political opponent would wish to go this route. Today, Vega’s counsel did not speak to the press at court. We’ll bring you that final decision of the court next week Thursday. In related news, almost a year since Cervantes’s murder, the culprit they call Manuel “EL pelon” Castillo who is said to be the mastermind of Cervantes Sr.’s murder, remains on the run.

Share this post

This content has been locked. You can no longer post any comment.

Headline News