Corozal House Of Culture Hosts Annual Ancient Week

The annual Ancient World symposium held at the Corozal House of Culture has featured special present...

PUP Leader Says Barrow Administration Must Answer For Sanctuary Bay Scandal

Last week Prime Minister Dean Barrow made active attempts to keep the full extent of the Sanctuary B...

PUP Says Sanctuary Bay Scam Is Too Huge To Ignore

Today more documents in relation to the scheme which the U.S. says defrauded Americans of over $100 ...

Major Bank Considering Exiting Belie, Says Briceno

One of serious revelations by the Opposition leader in today’s press conference is that the financia...

New Facebook Aging App Can Cause Security Breaches

If you have recently been on social media, chances are you might have come across the newest viral t...

  • Corozal House Of Culture Hosts Annual Ancient Week

    Wednesday, 17 July 2019 02:46
  • PUP Leader Says Barrow Administration Must Answer For Sanctuary Bay Scandal

    Friday, 19 July 2019 02:20
  • PUP Says Sanctuary Bay Scam Is Too Huge To Ignore

    Friday, 19 July 2019 02:25
  • Major Bank Considering Exiting Belie, Says Briceno

    Friday, 19 July 2019 02:35
  • New Facebook Aging App Can Cause Security Breaches

    Friday, 19 July 2019 02:37

Screen_Shot_2015-05-29_at_6.13.20_PMThe seemingly willful destruction of the largest natural Mayan monument in northern Belize made international headlines in May of 2013 when it was discovered that a construction company owned by UDP Orange Walk Central Standard Bearer, Denny Grijalva, had been pillaging the ancient archaeological site to obtain material for road fill. Since the news broke and as a consequence, Grijalva’s company was charged with one count of removing parts of an ancient monument, and one count of causing the destruction of an ancient monument. The case was being handled in the Corozal Magistrate's Court for the past 2 years, but at the last adjournment the sitting Magistrate decided after consultation with the prosecutor and the defence attorney, that the case should be transferred to the Belize City Magistrate's Court. In that last hearing, the defendants asked their attorney to apply for transfer of the case from Belize City back to Corozal, away from the media capital. And that is where we are at with this very important case that has been dragging in the courts for years. But this morning, witnesses were summoned to court to meet with the prosecution where they reviewed their initial witness statements. The case will now move to Corozal and is set to commence on Monday, June 1st. We’ll have the developments in next week’s newscast!

Share this post

This content has been locked. You can no longer post any comment.