While Prime Minister Dean Barrow is sticking to his guns when it comes to the new Statutory Instrument that denies Belizeans access to the Sarstoon for the next month, the People’s United Party is demanding that the Government rescind the regulations immediately. But not only that, the PUP is preparing to challenge the law. The announcement was made today after a meeting of the party’s National Executive this morning.
Honorable John Briceno – Party Leader of People’s United Party
“The National Executive has considered and has approved the following:
(1) The PUP, on behalf of the Belizeans demands that the government immediately rescind the unjust Sarstoon law;
(2) That the PUP recognizes that despite assurances given to the Leader of the Opposition and the PUP to address the unfounded Guatemala claim in a united national effort, the government has effectively suspended this national effort by its unilateral actions;
(3) That the legal Advisor of the PUP is instructed to file a constitutional challenge to the Sarstoon law;
(4) That the National Executive and Parliamentary Caucus has decided to challenge the Sarstoon Law by going to the Sarstoon;
(5) That the PUP is launching a national campaign of LIBERATION OF THE SARSTOON AND RESISTANCE TO THE SARSTOON LAW – and invite Churches, Unions, the Business Community, Civil Society, Community Groups and other political parties to join in this patriotic effort.
On May 07, 2016, the National Party Council of the People’s United Party will be meeting for discussion and approval of the decisions taken by the National Executive and Parliamentary Caucus.”
Briceno says the party has been shut out of recent decisions made by Government on Guatemala, especially, as announced today, meetings between the Foreign Ministers of Belize and Guatemala. We also understand that the party is organizing its own expedition to the Sarstoon. A date for the trip is yet to be set.
|< Prev||Next >|