Be On Alert For Wanna Be GST Officers

Today the Department of General Sales Tax (DGST) issued a public notice alerting that the department...

Did Suspected Drug Plane Refuel in Belize?

On Friday morning Belizeans were awoken by the news that another drug plane had landed in the North ...

CSCPA Lashes Out At Santander

The release of white sugar in the local market by the multinational Spanish company, Santander, has ...

Opposition Leader Calls On GOB To Keep Insisting On Guatemala On Agreement

In light of the age-old territorial, insular and maritime dispute between Belize and neighbouring co...

San Narciso Businessman Believed To Be Kidnapped

There is very disturbing news to report tonight involving the reported kidnapping of a businessman f...

  • Be On Alert For Wanna Be GST Officers

    Wednesday, 23 May 2018 02:23
  • Did Suspected Drug Plane Refuel in Belize?

    Tuesday, 05 June 2018 02:58
  • CSCPA Lashes Out At Santander

    Tuesday, 05 June 2018 03:09
  • Opposition Leader Calls On GOB To Keep Insisting On Guatemala On Agreement

    Thursday, 07 June 2018 03:03
  • San Narciso Businessman Believed To Be Kidnapped

    Tuesday, 19 June 2018 02:47

Screen_Shot_2017-03-30_at_6.52.51_PMTonight there are two house fires to report here in Orange Walk. The first happened last night on Riverside Street and has left one woman without a home.


Sometime after 7:00pm the Orange Walk Fire department received a report of a fire in progress, today when we spoke to Fire Chief, Miguel Medina, he told us that upon arrival at the scene the small pimento house, which belongs to Margarita Melendez and was being occupied by forty eight year old Emerita Ramos, was completely engulfed in flames and the roof had already caved in. According to Medina, officials were able to quickly contain the blaze but regrettably nothing could have been saved.


Fortunately enough no one was inside the home at the time of the incident.


Our news team today also spoke to Emerita Ramos off camera, who told us that she was at church at the time of the incident and it was her next door neighbor who informed her of the tragedy. Upon receiving the news, Ramos rushed home only to find that all her belongings had been demolished by the fire.


According to Ramos, since her home did not have any electricity she would often times have mosquito coils and candles lit around the house. But yesterday when she left home sometime before six, Ramos says she ensured that nothing was left lit that could have been responsible for the fire.


Ramos believes that her home might have been set ablaze by an individual who had made previous threats to her life. But official reports from the fire department tell another story. According to Chief Medina, based on evidence gathered at the scene and statements recorded by neighbors it was concluded that the fire started from inside the house and caused by a mosquito coil or candle that was left unattended.


Anyone who would like to assist Emerita Ramos can give her a call at phone number 605-6124.

Share this post

This content has been locked. You can no longer post any comment.