Xate Blooming In The Forest Reserve

Tonight, there is some good news coming out of the Chiquibul National Park as the Friends for Conser...

Price for Regular Gasoline and Kerosene Reduce

As of mid-night tonight, prices for Regular Gasoline and Kerosene will see reductions at the pumps. ...

Well Known City Figure Charged For Courts Robbery In Corozal

Also arraigned at the Magistrate’s Court today was known city figure Samuel Halliday, who turned 26 ...

Ambassadors Present Credentials To Governor General

Four ambassadors presented their Letters of Credence today to the Governor General of Belize His Exc...

Preliminary Figures For Re-Registration Released

Today marks the start of week two in the mass re-registration exercise here in the Jewel. As the pro...

  • Xate Blooming In The Forest Reserve

    Tuesday, 10 July 2018 01:56
  • Price for Regular Gasoline and Kerosene Reduce

    Tuesday, 10 July 2018 02:02
  • Well Known City Figure Charged For Courts Robbery In Corozal

    Tuesday, 10 July 2018 02:07
  • Ambassadors Present Credentials To Governor General

    Tuesday, 10 July 2018 02:14
  • Preliminary Figures For Re-Registration Released

    Tuesday, 10 July 2018 02:22

Screen_Shot_2017-03-30_at_6.52.51_PMTonight there are two house fires to report here in Orange Walk. The first happened last night on Riverside Street and has left one woman without a home.


Sometime after 7:00pm the Orange Walk Fire department received a report of a fire in progress, today when we spoke to Fire Chief, Miguel Medina, he told us that upon arrival at the scene the small pimento house, which belongs to Margarita Melendez and was being occupied by forty eight year old Emerita Ramos, was completely engulfed in flames and the roof had already caved in. According to Medina, officials were able to quickly contain the blaze but regrettably nothing could have been saved.


Fortunately enough no one was inside the home at the time of the incident.


Our news team today also spoke to Emerita Ramos off camera, who told us that she was at church at the time of the incident and it was her next door neighbor who informed her of the tragedy. Upon receiving the news, Ramos rushed home only to find that all her belongings had been demolished by the fire.


According to Ramos, since her home did not have any electricity she would often times have mosquito coils and candles lit around the house. But yesterday when she left home sometime before six, Ramos says she ensured that nothing was left lit that could have been responsible for the fire.


Ramos believes that her home might have been set ablaze by an individual who had made previous threats to her life. But official reports from the fire department tell another story. According to Chief Medina, based on evidence gathered at the scene and statements recorded by neighbors it was concluded that the fire started from inside the house and caused by a mosquito coil or candle that was left unattended.


Anyone who would like to assist Emerita Ramos can give her a call at phone number 605-6124.

Share this post

This content has been locked. You can no longer post any comment.